By Rotary Service & Engagement Staff
Celebrate Community 2021, a joint initiative of Kiwanis International, Lions Clubs International, Optimist International, and Rotary International, launched 10-16 October. During this first celebratory week, our organizations asked their clubs to work together on projects to improve and benefit local communities.
Clubs were encouraged to collaborate on projects to support health and wellness, alleviate food insecurity and hunger, improve education and literacy, and protect the environment. Clubs organized activities such as community cleanups, food donation drives and distributions, walks and runs to raise money for specific causes, and book collections for children’s personal libraries.
Clubs from across these organizations connected by making an initial introduction, inviting members of other clubs to their service projects, and creating new activities together to make a difference in their community. Clubs could participate individually or in partnership with clubs from the other organizations.
Read about how clubs made an impact:
- In the Cayman Islands, the Lions Club of Tropical Gardens, along with other Lions, Leos, Kiwanis, Rotary, and Rotaract members assisted their local Red Cross Thrift Shop by sorting donations.
- In São Paulo, Brazil, Lions Club Marília Nova Generação, Lions Club Marília Agroecologico, and Rotary Club Coroados prepared 100 lunchboxes and 200 meals for people in need in two communities.
- In Iowa, United States, the Noon Optimist Club of Western Des Moines and Downtown Des Moines Kiwanis built and delivered new beds to children in partnership with a local nonprofit, Sleep in Heavenly Peace.
- In Batangas and Lucena, Philippines, the Kiwanis Club of Lucena Aces, District 4C and the Tanauan City Lions, District 301-A2 together provided 10,000 units of dental fluoride to children in need.
- In Ontario, Canada, the Lambton Central Petrolia Optimist Club, Rotary Club of Petrolia, Petrolia Lions Club, Petrolia Rotary, Royal Canadian Legion, and Kiwanis Club of Petrolia and Area planted crocus bulbs in Hillsdale Cemetery. This project was organized with Windover Nurseries and in collaboration with students from Lambton Central Collegiate & Vocational School.
This initial event is a springboard to the future. We envision an annual week of service in which all the clubs around the world collaborate and involve their youth clubs, too. Celebrate Community brings together members from different clubs, so we can learn more about each other, our organizations, and our shared goals to make a difference in our communities and our world.
Did you take part in Celebrate Community 2021? Please complete this form to share your Celebrate Community project and its impact.
One thought on “Kiwanis, Lions, Optimist, and Rotary join to celebrate community”
Reblogged this on Humanitarian around the world.