By: Jean-Luc Berger Chair
The International Fellowship Cycling to Serve, was unable to organize and/or participate in the usual major events that are held annually: 4 Days, World Championships, and the Ride to End Polio in Tucson. However, COVID-19 brought out the imagination and creativity of cycling Rotarians, Rotaractors and their family members. Here are the highlights from the 2020-2021 Rotary year:
- 4,500 participants attended the Pedals in Peru virtual ride and also held a debate on cycling safety
- German members held a virtual race on connected bikes with professional racers. You can read more about our German members in the Rotary Magazine.
- 25 bicycles were donated to female students in Nepal so that they can ride to school
- Cycling to Serve Austria held a ride from Innsbrück to Rome to raise funds for PolioPlus
- A new Cycling to Serve chapter was launched in New Delhi, India
Our members have stayed connected with videoconference meetings and membership has grown by 5% thanks to the fellowship website and newsletter. In addition to virtual connections, the fellowship has expanded to new regions: India North (New Delhi), Bulgaria, and Latin America (to be announced soon).
For the 2021-2022 Rotary year, we will continue to connect virtually and are ready for our next events:
- Nancy World Championship, France
- Ride to end polio in Tucson, Arizona, USA
- 4 Days in Lörrach, Germany
- Kitzbuel-Paris (Austria-France) ride for a professional development association
To join our Fellowship or learn more about upcoming events, visit the International Fellowships Cycling to Serve website.