By Brian Hall, Chair of Operations, WASH Rotary Action Group
A Rotarian in Melbourne, Australia needed to know how to remove excess cadmium from spring water in Indonesia. Another Rotarian in Zimbabwe needed information on treating water from a sewerage system for agricultural uses. A third Rotarian needed a review of a hydrogeological survey done in Ethiopia.
In each case, the Rotarians reached out to the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Rotary Action Group’s Professional Services Team. This team consists of Rotarians with years of specialized WASH experience and knowledge. And, in each case, those Rotarians got answers to their questions within a few days.
The WASH Rotary Action Group was formed to provide human, technical, and financial support to Rotary clubs and districts seeking to help communities gain sustainable access to water, sanitation, and hygiene. We do not to do the projects; instead, we help to make the efforts of Rotarians have the greatest impact.
How does the WASH Rotary Action Group do this? We have got several ways:
- Professional Services Team – have a question about a WASH problem? Our Professional Services Team has answers.
- Grant Review – we can review your WASH grant before it goes to The Rotary Foundation. Our recommendations will speed up the review and approval process. Get more information by clicking here.
- Financial Assistance – allow us to review your grant and it may then be eligible for up to $2000 in funding. Get more information by clicking here.
- Education – From our World Water Summits, to our webinars, to YouTube videos about how to do a global grant, we can help.
- Ambassadors – our Ambassadors offer WASH advocacy and knowledge in the districts they serve around the globe.
In the fall of 2020, the WASH Rotary Action Group presented a series of webinars on the “Nuts and Bolts” of WASH global grants. You can find our past webinars on our YouTube channel by clicking here. You’ll find fantastic information from presenters around the world about making your Rotary Foundation grant application foolproof.
On 3-4 June 2021, the WASH Rotary Action Group will hold its 13th annual World Water Summit. This year’s focus will be on WASH in Healthcare Facilities. Discover the concerns and potential solutions around this compelling global challenge that is impacting both developed and developing countries. You can find additional information by clicking here.
Later this year, in the fall of 2021, we are planning a new series of webinars. Stay tuned for more information.
Involved in WASH projects? We want to help you do more and better work. Interested in WASH projects and problems? We want you on our team.
In the words of Rotary’s wonderful Vision Statement, “together we see a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change – across the globe, in our communities, and in ourselves”. Our passion is doing it via WASH projects.