By Rotary Service and Engagement Staff
Rotary isn’t just a club for people to join, but rather an invitation to endless opportunities. Acts of service, big and small, create opportunities for people who need help. Rotary Opens Opportunities, everything you do opens another opportunity for someone, somewhere. Rotary creates pathways for members to improve their lives and the lives of those they help through service projects. Rotary creates leadership opportunities and gives members the chance to travel the world to put their service ideas into action and make lifelong connections.
2020-21 Rotary International President Holger Knaack encourages you to be open to new approaches and embrace change. During the 2020-21 year, President Knaack recommends that every club have a strategic plan meeting at least once a year. At that meeting, clubs should ask where they want to be in five years and how they can bring more value to their members using Rotary’s Action Plan as a compass to guide their discussions.
Here are some activities that can help increase our impact, expand our reach, enhance participant engagement, and increase our ability to adapt:
- Involve women in leadership roles.
- Collaborate with young people and allow them to be the architects of new innovative service projects.
- Join a discussion group to exchange ideas around a shared topic of interest with fellow members.
- Inspire others by sharing your service projects on Rotary Showcase.
- Leverage subject-matter expertise by collaborating with a Rotary Action Group on a service project or join a group to share your expertise.
- Sponsor or work with a Rotary Community Corps to enhance community engagement and ensure project sustainability.
- Foster international understanding and meet prospective partners at a Project Fair.
- Discover new cultures and share your culture by participating in a Rotary Friendship Exchange.
- Share your passions with new friends from around the world by joining a Rotary Fellowship.
- Work with your district international service chair to find resources and local expertise to help you plan sustainable, successful projects and grants. Find experts in project planning, Rotary’s areas of focus, and Rotary grants in the district resource network.
- Work with your district community service chair to develop service projects that address needs in your region.
- Collaborate with Rotary’s service partners on a project.
The 2020-21 Rotary Citation will recognize clubs’ array of accomplishments that make a positive difference in their communities related to Rotary’s strategic priorities. Encourage your clubs to work towards the citation’s goals. Follow this blog for inspirational ideas on achieving the humanitarian service goals to qualify for the citation.