By Azka Asif, RI Programs Staff
Rotarians serve, empower and inspire others through vocational service by using their unique skills and expertise to address community needs and help others discover new vocational opportunities and interests. As professionals, Rotarians represent their particular field or area of expertise and hold a dual responsibility: represent their vocation within their club and exemplify the ideals of Rotary in their place of business. Check out these projects on Rotary Showcase highlighting how Rotarians contribute their expertise to the problems and needs of their communities:
- Using their professional experiences, Rotarians from the Rotary Club of Phoenix in Mauritius provide career counseling for students going into universities. The club also encourages their spouses and friends to provide counseling, share hands-on experience and offer advice to students pursuing higher studies to help them decide their future goals and aspirations.
- In India, the Rotary Club of Rajkot Midtown set up a vocational training center for women in their community. The center provides training in different areas such computers, sewing, beauty care, dancing, cooking, and arts. The center aims to equip women with the skills they need to gain employment. Over the past six years, the center has helped more than 6000 women find jobs.
- The Rotary Club of Amman Capital partnered with the Elia Nuqul Foundation to conduct a leadership program with a group of 28 young scholars from around Jordan. The three day program help scholar grow professionally and personally while strengthening their leadership skills to ensure that they become productive members of society and successful in their business endeavors.
- The Rotary Club Omole-Golden in Nigeria held a seminar on ethics in business and governance. Professionals and youth from the community were invited to attend key note speeches and lectures from motivational guest speakers on best ethical practices.
- The Rotary Club of Waterkloof in South Africa provides ongoing professional training to 25 caregivers working at a home for mentally challenged individuals.
How is your club and district promoting Rotary’s commitment to integrity and inspiring your community through vocational service? Add your voice to the conversation using the blog’s commenting feature below and share your club initiatives on Rotary Showcase.