By Bill Boyd, Past President of Rotary International and Chair of the Water & Sanitation Rotarian Action Group (Wasrag)
Wasrag’s World Water Summits have established a tradition of excellence. The 2015 World Water Summit promises to be the best yet. The day-long event will focus on pressing concerns related to Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) in Schools and how we can address these needs.
Water, sanitation, and hygiene education in schools, commonly known as WASH in Schools, provides safe drinking water, improved sanitation facilities, and hygiene education encouraging the development of healthy behaviors in our youth. The resulting behavior changes throughout an entire community are bringing significant breakthroughs in eradicating disease and improving health in developing countries around the world. Additionally, more children, particularly girls, attend school and the overall health of communities improves.
Join us and be prepared for one of the greatest opportunities to improve communities with the Rotary family around the world. Simultaneous interpretation from English to Portuguese will be available during the plenary sessions.
Our list of excellent speakers includes:
- Lizette Burgers, Senior Advisor of UNICEF’s WASH in Schools program; Greg Allgood, Vice President of World Vision; Raul Gauto, Strategic Supervisor of Water Opportunities at AVINA Foundation; and a very special young lady from Sesame Street called Raya
- Foundation Trustee Sushil Gupta will share about Rotary’s WASH in School plans; Erica Gwynn, Area of Focus Manager for WASH, will give a Foundation update; and RI General Secretary John Hewko will close the Summit with a rousing message for us all
- A number of breakout sessions focused on a variety of WASH-related areas will supplement the plenaries and give participants an opportunity to talk about their experiences and ask plenty of questions from sector experts
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to dive into one of the most popular Rotarian-led activities in the field!
Date: Thursday, 4 June, 2015
Location: Renaissance São Paulo Hotel on Almeda Santos
Time: 7:30 registration; 8:00 – 17:00
We look forward to seeing you there!
- Watch a video invitation to the World Water Summit from Sesame Street Muppet Raya
- Read The Rotarian magazine’s conversation with Raya and Stephen Sobhani, vice president of international projects at Sesame Workshop
- Read about Sesame Street health crusader’s visit with Rotary leaders