By Jesse Allerton, Rotary Programs staff
RI President Gary C.K. Huang is encouraging all Rotary members to Light Up Rotary in 2014-15 “by sharing our service, strengthening our clubs, and letting our light shine in our communities.”
Hosting a Rotary Day is a great way for clubs to put the President’s theme into action. It’s simple: hold a fun, informal event in your community to introduce the general public to Rotary and drive interest in membership and other opportunities for engagement. You can refer to the Rotary Days brochure for ideas on how to structure and promote a Rotary Day event and find more tips in this article from the July edition of Rotary Leader.
Remember to share photos, videos, and stories of your event with the Rotary community and beyond. Here are just a few ways you can publicize your impact:
- Post photos of your event on Instagram using the hashtag #RotaryDay
- Tweet promotional information and updates, also using the hashtag #RotaryDay
- Post a video of your Rotary Day on YouTube and email a link and description to firstname.lastname@example.org. Videos may be featured in Rotary media and one outstanding video will receive a special award plaque from the President.
- Share your story with Rotary staff for possible inclusion in a blog, newsletter, or The Rotarian magazine. Contact us at email@example.com.
- Visit the President’s web page to view a calendar of upcoming Rotary Day events or add your event to the calendar.
How will you Light Up Rotary?
Rotary Days aren’t the only way to let our light shine! From planning adult literacy classes to installing water filters to hosting vocational training programs, our members are rolling up their sleeves and launching humanitarian projects to improve their communities all around the world.
How will your club Light Up Rotary in the coming year? Share your plans using the comment feature below.