By Ellina Kushnir, Rotary Programs staff
Every 22 March, World Water Day, clubs around the world join the global community to reaffirm our commitment to improving access to clean water, sanitation, and hygiene. This year, the United Nations urges us to undertake initiatives that address inadequate access to safe drinking water, proper sanitation, sufficient food, and energy services.
How is your club or district addressing issues related to water shortages, barriers to water access, and sanitation challenges? Share your story on Rotary Showcase:
- With the help of a Rotary grant, two English clubs are working with the Rotary Club of Antananarivo Faneva, Madagascar, to provide clean water to villagers in the Analamanga region. Working with local community members, the partners have provided resources and training install and maintain clean piped water.
- Determined to reduce water borne diseases in the Condega community of Nicaragua, Rotarians from Oregon, USA, are working with the Rotary Club of Estelí, Nicaragua, to provide water filters and train local families on the importance of properly using these supplies for consumption, personal hygiene, cooking, and animal herding.
We still have much work to do to help communities around the world access clean water. You can request project support on Rotary Ideas:
- The Rotary Club of Heliopolis, Egypt, is seeking international partners to apply for a Rotary grant that will help provide a water system to 3,000 people in the Al Adly village.
- The Rotary Club of Kahihi, Uganda, is looking for international partners to help sponsor a water filtration system at the The Bishop Coomboni College, located in Kambuga region. Read about the project plans and how you can help.
Interested in starting or contributing to an existing water initiative? It’s time to take action:
- Subscribe to this blog for tips, resources, and inspirational success stories to help plan your own water and sanitation projects.
- Work with Wasrag, the Water and Sanitation Rotarian Action Group. Contact Wasrag to learn about current water projects, find information resources including technical guides (available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese) for developing and implementing water projects, or to connect with a Rotarian expert.
- Participate in Wasrag’s 2014 World Water Summit in Sydney, Australia, for a day of workshops, information sharing, and networking around sanitation, water issues, and hygiene education . The Summit will be hosted Friday, 30 May, immediately preceding the 2014 RI Convention.